Created in 2006 the centre was funded as part of the £1.2m Cromer Community Economic Regeneration Package through the East of England Objective 2 European Union Structural Funds programme and the East of England Development Agency, with other contributions from Norfolk County Council, North Norfolk District Council and Cromer Town Council.
Merchants` Place Ltd is a non-profit making company, generating all of its income through room hire and business service provision. All revenue is invested back into the Centre to provide services for the community.
In addition to our services we run grant funded projects:
- Future You: Supported by the Norfolk Community Foundation Norfolk Recovery Fund 2020 – Providing tailored employment support.
- Yes We Can: Supported by Victory Housing Community Fund & Geoffrey Watling Charity, Norfolk Community Foundation – To provide literacy, IT and social interaction for isolated adults with life affecting conditions.
- North Norfolk Volunteer Hub: Supported by Cromer Town Council – seeking further funding and sponsors – Recruiting volunteers and matching with local organisations to assist in community groups/projects.
- Drawn Together, Social Art Project: Supported by Victory Housing Community Fund, North Norfolk District Council Arts and Culture Fund and Coop Local Community Fund – A friendly social art group for adults to alleviate loneliness.
- Community Fridge and Larder: Supported by National Lottery Community Fund, the Norfolk Resilience and Norfolk Community Foundation.
- All About Mum: Supported by CANConnect – coming soon! A group for new mums to receive support and friendship after giving birth during lockdown.
- Large meeting room – £2500 for 24 months
- Interview rooms – £2000 for 24 months
- North Norfolk Volunteer Hub – £1500 for 12 months
We have also been lucky to receive funding from the Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) to continue our community work throughout the pandemic for 6 months.
The Postcode Neighbourhood Trust also provided us with emergency support during the early months of COVID.
We are currently seeking sponsors to extend our projects above. You could help by sponsoring one of our rooms.
As a sponsor a plaque with your company name and logo will appear in the centre and on all our correspondence, website, newsletter and social media activity. We will regularly produce editorials for the local press reporting on the projects accomplishments aided by our sponsors.